If you tend to be easily distracted when writing, take a look at Momentum Writer by Black Obelisk Software. Fire it up and your display resembles a screen reminiscent of blank paper. That means the too-easy-to-click-on impulse links to email and browsers are hidden, thus keeping your focus on writing. It does not allow for easy editing, and knowing this will keep you pushing forward.
The background and typeface colors are adjustable, as well as the font.
Best of all, it’s free. I’ve used it for a few years now. It’s good.
Okay, so maybe you’re a total slacker, the type who has the attention span of a gnat. I have days like that, too. When I need to get writing done fast and I’m zoning-out, Write or Die is my next go-to choice.
Write or Die can be a sinister program. Depending on how you set it up, we’re talking dire consequences if you don’t keep writing. At its most extreme setting, it will delete (unwrite) your work, which can pretty much suck. Great motivator, though.
If you’re the type who needs a cattle prod to get out of the bed in the morning or who responds well to threats, this program is for you.
It’s available in both desktop and iPad versions. $10 and worth every dime.
Write or Die
NaNoWriMo is looming. If you’re taking that dive, either of these will come in handy.
Twitter FeedMy Tweets
What I’m Reading Now
Mastery by Robert Greene
The Last Witness by K J Parker
Eats Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
The Other 90% by Robert K Cooper
The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide By Douglas Adams
- Writers’ Stuff – Grammar Checks
- Pulp Birthday Cover
- Yeah…what she said…and Pressfield, too.
- National Pumpkin Cutting Day
- “Jump in, the water’s fine.” I suspect it’s a lie, but foolishly make the dive anyway.
- This One’s Free – Momentum Writer
- The Busiest Damned Motivational Poster Ever
- Stuff That’s Laying Around
- Never Give Up.
- 7 Words That Changed My Life
- RESEARCH – The Steamy Romance Novel
- Permission to Fly…Creatively (Part I)
- The First Novel I Wrote Was Genius. Not.